My friend wants to start a handmade children’s clothing company and assumed she could open a Facebook page and start selling her wares. She had seen many WAHMs (work-at-home-moms) do that with varying degrees of success. Starting your own business is not that easy (if you do it right).
What you need:
- Insurance (very important especially if you are dealing with children’s items) – Cost varies.
- Business Registration (not needed but recommended as you can claim your business expenses) – In Ontario HST registration is $60.00.
- Starting Inventory – The cost varies greatly.
- Research – Is there a need for you product, what is your demographic etc.
- Rainy Day Fund – Put aside at least 10% of your original investment for any unexpected costs.
- Website – $100 to $1000’s of dollars depending on budget (includes hosting, domain and design if needed)
- Logo – I paid $120 for my logo through Logoinn but this price can go up to thousands of dollars depending on your needs and who you hire.
- E-commerce system – Again the price varied to you needs. I used Ecwid and find them to be reasonably priced. Cat uses and is very happy with BigCommerce.
- Name – Make sure you become familiar with trademark laws and use a naming service if needed.
- Social Media Presence – Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest pages are very influential in consumer purchases. Plus the cost is FREE!
- Good Internet Package – You do not want you internet to go down and miss out on client emails.
- Inventory System – A system that will track your orders and current inventory including profits.
- Bookkeeper/Accountant – This can get pricey but very good to have.
- Support/Mentor – Someone you can go to when you have questions. Feel free to ask me any questions you may have on our Facebook page or via email.
- Advertising – Very important. Advertising could be in many forms going to a mom 2 mom sale, advertise on a search network and promoting posts on Facebook are just some of the ways you can advertise.
- Education – Want to learn how to make your own images or make your website even better. Investing in your own education will never be a bad thing.
- Dedicated business phone line.
The number one thing you need to start your own business is TIME. Between interacting on social media, blogging, communicating with clients/colleagues and everything else I do for the business I spend on average 7-12 hours a day.
Do you think I missed anything on these lists?