This is the sixth installment of KISSMIF: Keep it Simple, Social Media is Fun!
I shared in KISSMIF #5 how I have enjoyed the Social Media Examiner’s podcasts.
We listened to one called How to Boost Your Content with Social Media.
From this podcast, I gathered the following information:
Frequency of sharing your posts on social media in the first 24 hours:
- Facebook: share only once on the first 24 hours; only 2-3 times in the first week; vary the way you do it.
- Twitter: share 3-4 times in the first 24 hours; use hashtags, don’t completely fill up your feed with retweets and replies
- Pinterest and Instagram: share the image one time within 24 hours;
*Use Pinterest for followers that are middle age or older
*Use Instagram for followers that are younger
- LinkedIn: post a short content link to your profile or long form blog post in the first 24 hours
- Google+: post a content link to your profile and/or communities in first 24 hours
There is much more information in the podcast; so if you have time, listen to it!
Social Media and the Use of Hashtags:
I also talked about how much I have enjoyed Peg Fitzpatrick’s posts in KISSMIF #5.
She recently wrote a post entitled The Philosophy of a Hashtag Strategy.
She talks about why you should use hashtags, what kind of hashtags you should use, hallmarks of successful hashtags, different tools you can use to find good hashtags, and how many hashtags to use on each social media platform.
From her post, I made up this picture so you can easily see how many hashtags you could be using on each different social media website.
Read her post to learn how many hashtags she uses for each social media platform.
I am often sharing news about Facebook and Pinterest, yet this year every blogger who blogs as a business should focus on Instagram.
Here is some information about how Instagram is growing:
Instagram’s interactions to followers ratio is 30 times greater than that of other major social networks.
On Instagram, raking in only a handful of likes and comments is a rarity; only 10% of Instagram photos and 6% of Instagram videos receive 10 or fewer interactions. Again, compare that to Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, and LinkedIn, where well more than half of all posts receive fewer than 10 interactions (73%, 60%, 65%, and 68%, respectively).
Instagram also has the highest percentage of viral content (posts with greater than 250 interactions); overall, 49% of Instagram pictures and 60% of Instagram videos get that level of engagement.
Quotes are taken from Everything Marketers Need To Know About Instagram Sponsored Content
All the experts are saying Instagram is now mainstream and must be utilized correctly.
Here are a couple of Instagram tips:
- Hashtags are a must! You can use up to 30, but it is recommended that you use less than 7. At least one hashtag averaged 12.6% more engagement.
- You can tag others on Instagram (sometimes that doesn’t work well on other forms of social media). Posts that include another user handle in the caption received 56% more engagement than those that didn’t.
- You can use ScheduGram to schedule posts to Instagram! I love these scheduling tools, like the free extension I shared for Google Plus on KISSMIF #5.
Do you love Instagram? You can follow Thinking Outside the Sandbox on Instagram HERE!
Stay tuned for more Social Media News!
If you find more social media or blogging news that would be perfect for these posts let us know.