For those who know me, know that I am certainly a ‘glass half full’ type of person. My husband says I see the world through rose coloured glasses. Either way, in response to yesterday’s post about what I HATED about being a WAHM, here is my positive list.
1. Best work uniform EVER. Some days the kids stay in their jammies all day. If it wasn’t for taking my older two to school, I probably would as well. My dress up clothes are yoga pants and t shirts. It’s not too shabby of a dress code, okay, it is shabby, but oh, so comfortable.
2. I get to see more of my children’s childhood. For many WAHMs this is the #1 reason they choose to stay home. Also, I don’t have to pay for childcare (most of the time). Paying for childcare makes working out of the home pointless for many people. Add it up, 4 kids in daycare….Oh, I do not even want to think about it! Granted I do pay some part time childcare so I can attend meetings, conferences and work uninturrupted sometimes, but it still makes a big difference.
3. I set my own hours. As I write this it is 802pm, my older 3 are just falling asleep and my youngest is asleep next to me on the couch. Most days I keep regular hours in order to ensure that I am able to meet my and my families needs. I am also NOT a night owl, but I can work into the wee hours when I choose to. When I was first starting my cloth diaper store (which I sold in 2011 as I was too busy with Bundles), I worked till 2am almost every day getting my business running. This is an option. It isn’t always the most healthy option, but it is an option. I also work split shifts, some weekends and whenever the house is quiet.
4. I make lots of cyber friends. Some of the most amazing people I know are through connections I have made from running one of my businesses. There are so many people, especially women, out there that inspire me and I would never have known them if not for being a WAHM. Who knew that staying home in my PJs all day would help me ‘meet’ people?
5. As long as there is internet, I can work. For those who missed it, last summer I spent weeks working while travelling with my family. This included hosting a games night on the tailgate of a truck. I often work outside, respond to emails waiting to pick my kids up from school and hang out at Starbucks. I spend the weekend with my parents, attend conferences and spend weeks on end at our summer place. All without missing a beat. The internet is amazing!
6. I know more acronyms than most people. SAHM, WAHM, WOHM, SAHD, IRL, KWIM, TTYL, LMAO, LOL, ROFL, DD, DS, SO, CD, PL, WP, BG, FB, BF, EBF, EC, EDD, TTC, CIO, AP, NAK. Do you know what all those mean? You probably do, because if you are reading this, you are probably a WAHM too.
7. I am THE BOSS. I make all the decisions, for good or bad. I can do what I want, when I want and how I want with my business. This is kinda fun. The only people who tell me what to do are the kids.
8. Some people see me as a celebrity. I am a big deal …. on a very small space on the internet. “Ohhh, you’re Cat from Bundles and Buzz” or “Oooo I know Bundles and Buzz, that’s you?” are two things I love to hear!I think after they see me chasing 4 boys through the grocery store, my status is brought back to earth, but there is something great about being fairly faceless with thousands of ‘fans’. Let me just pretend they are all fans of Cat Clutchey for a moment….
9. When I succeed, it was all me. There is immense satisfaction with completing something yourself. When you get an email from a customer or company that simply tells you that they think your company rocks. Waking up to find new fans on your Facebook page or that someone mildly famous is now following your Tweets. These moments feel amazing.
10. I always have an excuse for packages arriving in the mail. I’ll be honest, I LOVE shopping online. Packages that arrive for my business have not only curbed my urge to shop for myself (meaning my kids), but it also means that my husband asks no questions when package after package arrive at the door. As long as the number of packages going out the door outweighs the number coming in, we are all good!
Share with me. What did I miss? What is your favourite part about being a WAHM? And most importantly, what acronyms did I miss? Feel free to test me.
Latest posts by Cat (see all)
- How To Use Instagram For Business - July 28, 2014
- Top Performing Affiliates: Make Money With Your Blog! - July 24, 2014
- What is Linqia? - July 15, 2014