As an entrepreneur who is just starting out, any piece of advice or motivation can go a long way. It is easy to get discouraged or even think about throwing in the towel. You have to remember that even the most successful businesses had to start somewhere. If those entrepreneurs could do it, so can you.
Here are a few quotes I find inspirational as an entrepreneur:
1. “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” (Thomas Edison)
Thomas Edison is one of the best inventors mankind has ever known. He is the first one to admit that amidst his successes he has also seen many, many failures. Failure is inevitable. No matter what kind of business you are in, you will experience failure. Failure is what propels us to succeed.
2. “Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.” (Mark Twain)
As an entrepreneur, you are always going to come across friends, family and strangers who do not share your vision. Some of them will tell you that you will not succeed or should not be pursuing your business. Do not let them discourage you. Instead, surround yourself with others who believe in you and encourage you.
3. “Whether you think you can, or think you can’t — you’re right.” (Henry Ford)
One of the first steps in accomplishing something you set out to do is getting in the right mindset. If you are reluctant and downtrodden from the start, there is a good chance that you will not succeed. Believe in yourself and your vision and keep your thoughts positive.
4. “What do you need to start a business? Three simple things: know your product better than anyone, know your customer, and have a burning desire to succeed.” (Dave Thomas)
Dave Thomas sure does hit the nail on the head here and his success surely does back him up. Whatever business you decide to get yourself into, it is imperative that you learn everything about it that you can. This learning process will be an ongoing one too. Familiarity with your product will lead to a natural familiarity with your target consumers. If you know what the customers want it will be a lot easier to provide them with it. Happy customers make for a happy business. If you really want to succeed, and put forth the effort and determination to do so, then there is a good chance you will.
5. “Sometimes when you innovate, you make mistakes. It is best to admit them quickly and get on with improving your other innovations.” (Steve Jobs)
Mistakes are inevitable in business. You usually have to fail before you can succeed. When you do make mistakes it is important to embrace them and understand how you can correct them. You cannot just ignore it and move on. Take your mistakes as a learning experience and make yourself and your business more successful because of them.
Can you relate to any of these quotes as an entrepreneur or aspiring one? Do you have a favorite quote?